If you are using iTunes to back up the iPhone to a computer, you may discover your computer does not have sufficient free storage space to back all your data.
In that case, it would be better to back up your data to an external hard drive such as a USB stick or a portable hard disk. Then you can clear out some space on your iPhone. The following are two effective methods of backing up of your iPhone to an external hard drive.
If you have a lot of backup data on your iPhone, then you might can think about copying and transferring this old backup folder to an external drive. After that you can delete it to free up space.
Follow this guide to back up your iPhone to any external drive:
1. First, make sure to connect the external hard drive to your computer.
2. Create a new folder on your external hard drive where you want to save your backup. Name it something you’ll remember, like “Backup”
3. After that, you need to open a new Finder window. Tap Command+Shift+G and Enter following in the box that pops up.
Then find the folder named “Backup.”
4. From here simply copy the “Backup” folder to the folder you made in first step. If you want to save space, you can delete the “Backup” folder once you verify your backups are working in iTunes.
5. Now, launch Terminal and type in the following command, replacing the “ExternalHardDriveName” with the info for your external hard drive:
ln -s /Volumes/ExternalHardDriveName/iPhoneBackup/Backup/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync
6. Open up iTunes then connect your iOS device, and backup your iOS device as you normally would. The backup file should now be on your external hard drive.
Make sure the external device is connected to your computer when you’re creating a backup.
Apart from this, you can also Use Fone Rescue to backup iPhone to the External drive directly.
The steps that you need to follow to use Fireebok Fone Rescue to backup iPhone data to the external drive.
- Firstly, connect your iPhone with the computer and download and install Fone Rescue on the computer.
- Afterwards, Run Fone Rescue then you will find your iPhone in the product, and click “Start Scan” button.
- Once the scanning has completed, you will be able to view all iPhone data then choose save the iPhone data to the external drive.
That’s all that you need to save iPhone backups to the external hard drive. Also, you need to remember to backup your iPhone every time or when you think it is necessary.